Administration The "Ovidiu Oana" private bell collection
List of pictures | About this site | Mailing list | Contact
Go up to the albums list Album Postcards (34 images, size 8.77 MB)
Pages: < 1 2 3 4
Schillers Glocke, Ziehet, ziehet, ziehet!
Schillers Glocke
The Shrine of St. Patrick's Bell is a reliquary completed c. 1094–1105 in County Armagh, Ireland, to enshrine an c. 500 iron hand-bell traditionally associated with the Irish patron saint Saint Patrick (d. 5th-century). Inscriptions on the back of the shrine record that it was commissioned after 1091 by the Uí Néill High King Domnall Ua Lochlainn and completed c. 1105 by the metalworker Cú Dúilig, about whom nothing is known.
Shrine of St Patrick’s bell
Commissioned by Doge Agostino Barbarigo in 1493, the glorious Torre dell’Orologio, also known as St. Mark’s Clock Tower, or “the Moor’s Clocktower,” facing into Piazza San Marco, is a marvel of 15th-century engineering.

It was designed by Maurizio Codussi and built beginning in 1496. The clock displays the time, the phase of the moon, and the dominant sign of the Zodiac. Venetian legend holds that when the clock was revealed on February 1, 1499, it was so beautiful that the doge had the clockmaker blinded so that he could not create another to rival it.

In reality, the two master mechanics of the clock were made its caretakers, beginning the tradition that the clock’s keepers live in the tower with their families.

The clock tower is topped by two bronze figures who strike the bell hourly. Although they were originally designated as giants, their dark patina lent them the nickname “Moors.” A relief of the winged lion of St. Mark, patron saint and symbol of Venice, stands on an open book below the Moors. A statue of the Virgin Mary stands one level down, above the massive clock face. The clock was intentionally designed to sit high enough in the square to be protected from Venice’s waters and to be visible from the canal.
St. Mark’s Clock Tower
The Childrens bell Tower - Bodega Bay N. California US
Postcard gifted by Laura Murgia

The Children's Bell Tower is dedicated to children everywhere. It was inspired by the death of seven-year old Nicholas Green of Bodega Bay who was shot by highway robbers while on vacation with his parents in Italy, on September 29, 1994.

All the bells were donated, mostly by families, schools and churches in Italy to express their sorrow - and appreciation for the decision of Nicholas' parents, Maggy and Reg Green, to donate his organs to seven Italians.

They symbolize the continuity of life. The centerpiece is from the Marinelli Foundry, which has been making bells for the Papacy for a thousand years. This bell, which has the name of Nicholas and the seven recipients, was blessed by Pope John Paul II.

The memorial was designed and built by Bruce Hasson of San Francisco.
The Childrens bell Tower
The Liberty Bell, dedicated to its crack history
The Liberty Bell
HMS " RENOWN " - THE SHIP'S BELL postcard

HMS Renown (1916) was the lead ship of her class of battlecruisers of the Royal Navy built during the First World War.
THE SHIP'S BELL
Missouri - Independence Truman Library Liberty Bell postcard
Truman Library Liberty Bell
Pages: < 1 2 3 4

The pictures found on this site present bells from a private collection.
Some icons are copyright ©2000-2003 Novell via Gnome Icons by Jakub Steiner.
All other contents is copyright ©2004-2022 Ovidiu Oana. More info.