Administration The "Ovidiu Oana" private bell collection
Viewing picture | About this site | Mailing list | Contact
Go up to the albums list Viewing picture The Pummerin in album 5. Religious bells
Go to picture: Next Last

picture

Picture details

Last modified: 2021-09-23 08:06:50

Pummerin is the name of the bell in the Stephansdom, St. Stephen's Cathedral, in Vienna.

The new Pummerin (officially named for St. Mary) was a gift from the province of Upper Austria and was cast on 5 September 1951 in St. Florian, Upper Austria from the Old Pummerin's metal (supplemented by metal from some of the remaining captured Turkish cannons at Vienna's Heeresgeschichtliches Museum military museum).

At 20,130 kg (44,380 lb) (without the clapper which weighs 813 kg), the new Pummerin is the largest bell in Austria and the third largest swinging bell in Europe after the 23,500 kg (51,810 lb) Petersglocke in Cologne Cathedral and the 22,700 kg Maria Dolens in Rovereto, Italy.

The Old Pummerin was originally cast in 1705 from 208 of the 300 cannons captured from the Muslim invaders in the Second Turkish Siege of Vienna.
Go to picture: Next Last

The pictures found on this site present bells from a private collection.
Some icons are copyright ©2000-2003 Novell via Gnome Icons by Jakub Steiner.
All other contents is copyright ©2004-2023 Ovidiu Oana. More info.