Administration The "Ovidiu Oana" private bell collection
Viewing picture | About this site | Mailing list | Contact
Go up to the albums list Viewing picture St. Mark’s Clock Tower in album Postcards
Go to picture: First Previous Next Last

picture

Picture details

Last modified: 2022-03-11 11:03:09

Commissioned by Doge Agostino Barbarigo in 1493, the glorious Torre dell’Orologio, also known as St. Mark’s Clock Tower, or “the Moor’s Clocktower,” facing into Piazza San Marco, is a marvel of 15th-century engineering.

It was designed by Maurizio Codussi and built beginning in 1496. The clock displays the time, the phase of the moon, and the dominant sign of the Zodiac. Venetian legend holds that when the clock was revealed on February 1, 1499, it was so beautiful that the doge had the clockmaker blinded so that he could not create another to rival it.

In reality, the two master mechanics of the clock were made its caretakers, beginning the tradition that the clock’s keepers live in the tower with their families.

The clock tower is topped by two bronze figures who strike the bell hourly. Although they were originally designated as giants, their dark patina lent them the nickname “Moors.” A relief of the winged lion of St. Mark, patron saint and symbol of Venice, stands on an open book below the Moors. A statue of the Virgin Mary stands one level down, above the massive clock face. The clock was intentionally designed to sit high enough in the square to be protected from Venice’s waters and to be visible from the canal.
Go to picture: First Previous Next Last

The pictures found on this site present bells from a private collection.
Some icons are copyright ©2000-2003 Novell via Gnome Icons by Jakub Steiner.
All other contents is copyright ©2004-2022 Ovidiu Oana. More info.